Taghizadeh Mohsen, Farzin N., Taheri S., Mahlouji M., Akbari H., Karamali F., Asemi Z.
Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, 2017
This randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial was implemented among 50 overweight women. Participants were randomly divided into 2 groups. Group A received dietary supplements containing 125 mg green tea, 25 mg capsaicin and 50 mg ginger extracts (n = 25) group B received placebos (n = 25) twice with lunch and twice with dinner daily for 8 weeks.
Compared with placebo, taking dietary supplements containing green tea, capsaicin and ginger resulted in a significant decrease in weight (-1.8 ± 1.5 vs. +0.4 ± 1.2 kg, respectively, p < 0.001) and body mass index (BMI; -0.7 ± 0.5 vs. +0.1 ± 0.5 kg/m2, respectively, p < 0.001). In addition, subjects who received green tea, capsaicin and ginger co-supplements had significantly decreased serum insulin concentrations (-2.6 ± 3.9 vs. -0.6 ± 2.0 µIU/mL, p = 0.02), homeostatic model of assessment for insulin resistance (-0.5 ± 0.8 vs. -0.05 ± 0.6, p = 0.01), and increased quantitative insulin sensitivity check index (+0.01 ± 0.01 vs. +0.001 ± 0.01, p = 0.008) and plasma glutathione (GSH) levels (+73.8 ± 120.6 vs. -28.3 ± 193.4 µmol/L, p = 0.03) compared with the placebo.
Our study indicated that taking green tea, capsaicin and ginger co-supplements for 8 weeks among overweight women had beneficial effects on weight, BMI, markers of insulin metabolism and plasma GSH levels.
The best supplements with Camellia Sinensis, Capsaicin or Zingiber Officinale in Weight Loss category: Piperinox.
Articles similar to "The effect of dietary supplements containing green tea, capsaicin and ginger extracts on weight loss and metabolic profiles in overweight women: A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial."
- The significance of Camellia Sinensis for Weight Loss: Green tea extract thermogenesis-induced weight loss by epigallocatechin gallate inhibition of Catechol-O-Methyltransferase.
- The impact of Camellia Sinensis on Weight Loss: Green tea catechin consumption enhances exercise-induced abdominal fat loss in overweight and obese adults.
- The significance of Camellia Sinensis for Weight Loss: Effects of catechin enriched green tea on body composition.
- The role of Capsaicin in Weight Loss: Capsaicinoids and capsinoids. A potential role for weight management? A systematic review of the evidence.
- The significance of Capsaicin for Weight Loss: Dietary capsaicin and its anti-obesity potency: from mechanism to clinical implications.
- The role of Capsaicin in Weight Loss: Capsaicinoids: a spicy solution to the management of obesity?.
- The impact of Zingiber Officinale on Weight Loss: The effects of ginger intake on weight loss and metabolic profiles among overweight and obese subjects: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
- The role of Zingiber Officinale in Weight Loss: A systematic review of the anti-obesity and weight lowering effect of ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) and its mechanisms of action.
- The impact of Zingiber Officinale on Weight Loss: Beneficial effects of ginger Zingiber officinale Roscoe on obesity and metabolic syndrome: a review.