The properties of Alpha Glycerylphosphorylcholine in supplements
|TBS Ingredient ID (TBSI ID):||IS360420|
|Alpha-Glycerylphosphorylcholine, Colina Glicerofosfato, Cholini Glycerophosphas, Cholini Alfosceras|
| PubChem CID: |
U.S. National Library of Medicine (PubChem)
| InChI Key: |
International Chemical Identifier hash (InChIKey) computed from chemical structure using the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) standard
| CAS: |
A proprietary registry number assigned by the Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) division of the American Chemical Society (ACS)
| EC Number: |
A seven-digit regulatory identifier currently assigned by the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) known as a European Community (EC) number
| ATC code: |
WHO ATC Classification System. The Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical (ATC) Classification System is used for the classification of drugs. This pharmaceutical coding system divides drugs into different groups according to the organ or system on which they act and/or their therapeutic and chemical characteristics
Alpha GPC (Alpha Glycerylphosphorylcholine, choline alfoscerate) is a natural choline compound found in the brain. It is also a parasympathomimetic acetylcholine precursor which may have potential for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease and other dementias. Alpha GPC increases acetylcholine levels to improve memory, learning, and concentration.
Industrially, alpha-GPC is produced by the chemical or enzymatic deacylation of phosphatidylcholine enriched soya phospholipids followed by chromatographic purification. Alpha-GPC may also be derived in small amounts from highly purified soy lecithin as well from purified sunflower lecithin.
- Supports cognitive function in the elderly at high doses significantly more than CDP Choline.
- May increase the production of the human growth hormone (HGH or somatropin) by working with pituitary gland.
- Promotes increases in strength outputs during resistance training workouts (Acute supplementation with alpha-glycerylphosphorylcholine augments growth hormone response to, and peak force production during, resistance exercise).
- May enhance lower body muscle performance (The effect of 6 days of alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine on isometric strength).
- May provide a steadier level of choline in the body than with CDP Choline (A comparative study of free plasma choline levels following intramuscular administration of L-alpha-glycerylphosphorylcholine and citicoline in normal volunteers).