Vasques Carlos A. R., Rossetto Simone, Halmenschlager Graziele, Linden Rafael, Heckler Eliane, Poblador Fernandez Maria S., Lancho Alonso José L.
Phytotherapy Research, 2008
Glucomannan fibers, abundant in Amorphophallus konjac, seem to reduce the absorption kinetics of dietary fat. Therefore, the aim of this double‐blind randomized study was to evaluate the pharmacotherapeutic efficacy of standardized extracts of G. cambogia (52.4% HCA) plus A. konjac (94.9% glucomannan) in the treatment of obesity. Fifty‐eight obese subjects (BMI 30.0–39.9 kg/m2) were assigned to the placebo group (n = 26) or the treatment group (n = 32); no dietary restrictions were applied. Over a 12‐week period, subjects were given daily doses of either Garcinia (2.4 g) plus Konjac (1.5 g) or placebo prior to their main meals (3 times/day). Before the start of treatment, and every 4 weeks thereafter, the following were recorded: height, weight, circumferences and body composition, resting energy expenditure (REE), lipid profile and glucose levels.
The treatment had no significant effect on anthropometric parameters, REE, triglycerides or glucose levels. However, a significant reduction was observed in total cholesterol (−32.0 ± 35.1 mg/dL) and LDL‐c levels (−28.7 ± 32.7 mg/dL) in the treated group, the final levels being significantly lower than those of the placebo group (p = 0.008 and p = 0.020, respectively). The results obtained suggest that the treatment had a significant hypocholesterolemic effect, without influencing the anthropometric or calorimetric parameters tested. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Articles similar to "Evaluation of the pharmacotherapeutic efficacy of Garcinia cambogia plus Amorphophallus konjac for the treatment of obesity."
- The significance of Amorphophallus Konjac for Weight Loss: Konjac glucomannan dietary supplementation causes significant fat loss in compliant overweight adults.
- The impact of Garcinia Gummi-Gutta on Weight Loss: Long-term effects of Garcinia cambogia/Glucomannan on weight loss in people with obesity, PLIN4, FTO and Trp64Arg polymorphisms.
- The impact of Amorphophallus Konjac on Weight Loss: Chronic use of glucomannan in the dietary treatment of severe obesity.
- The significance of Amorphophallus Konjac for Weight Loss: Effect of glucomannan on obese patients: a clinical study.
- The impact of Garcinia Gummi-Gutta on Weight Loss: Dietary supplements for body-weight reduction: a systematic review.
- The significance of Garcinia Gummi-Gutta for Weight Loss: The use of Garcinia extract (hydroxycitric acid) as a weight loss supplement: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials.
- The role of Garcinia Gummi-Gutta in Weight Loss: Effects of garcinia cambogia (Hydroxycitric Acid) on visceral fat accumulation: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial.
- The significance of Garcinia Gummi-Gutta for Weight Loss: The effect of garcinia cambogia as coadjuvant in the weight loss process.
- The role of Garcinia Gummi-Gutta in Weight Loss: Updates on Antiobesity Effect of Garcinia Origin (-)-HCA.