Onakpoya Igho, Hung Shao Kang, Perry Rachel, Wider Barbara, Ernst Edzard
Journal of obesity, 2010
The aim of this systematic review is to examine the efficacy of Garcinia extract, hydroxycitric acid (HCA) as a weight reduction agent, using data from randomised clinical trials (RCTs). Electronic and nonelectronic searches were conducted to identify relevant articles, with no restrictions in language or time. Two independent reviewers extracted the data and assessed the methodological quality of included studies. Twenty-three eligible trials were identified and twelve were included. Nine trials provided data suitable for statistical pooling. The meta-analysis revealed a small, statistically significant difference in weight loss favouring HCA over placebo (MD: -0.88 kg; 95% CI: -1.75, -0.00). Gastrointestinal adverse events were twice as common in the HCA group compared with placebo in one included study. It is concluded that the RCTs suggest that Garcinia extracts/HCA can cause short-term weight loss. The magnitude of the effect is small, and the clinical relevance is uncertain. Future trials should be more rigorous and better reported.You can continue reading here: The use of Garcinia extract (hydroxycitric acid) as a weight loss supplement: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials.
|PMCID (Free PMC Article):||PMC3010674|
Articles similar to "The use of Garcinia extract (hydroxycitric acid) as a weight loss supplement: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials."
- The significance of Hydroxycitric Acid for Weight Loss: Effects of garcinia cambogia (Hydroxycitric Acid) on visceral fat accumulation: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial.
- The impact of Garcinia Gummi-Gutta on Weight Loss: Long-term effects of Garcinia cambogia/Glucomannan on weight loss in people with obesity, PLIN4, FTO and Trp64Arg polymorphisms.
- The significance of Garcinia Gummi-Gutta for Weight Loss: The effect of garcinia cambogia as coadjuvant in the weight loss process.
- The impact of Hydroxycitric Acid on Weight Loss: Updates on Antiobesity Effect of Garcinia Origin (-)-HCA.
- The impact of Garcinia Gummi-Gutta on Weight Loss: Dietary supplements for body-weight reduction: a systematic review.
- The significance of Garcinia Gummi-Gutta for Weight Loss: Evaluation of the pharmacotherapeutic efficacy of Garcinia cambogia plus Amorphophallus konjac for the treatment of obesity.
- The role of Hydroxycitric Acid in Weight Loss: Effects of a natural extract of (-)-hydroxycitric acid (HCA-SX) and a combination of HCA-SX plus niacin-bound chromium and Gymnema sylvestre extract on weight loss.
- The role of Hydroxycitric Acid in Weight Loss: Transcriptome of primary adipocytes from obese women in response to a novel hydroxycitric acid-based dietary supplement.
- The significance of Hydroxycitric Acid for Weight Loss: An Evidence-Based Review of Fat Modifying Supplemental Weight Loss Products.
- The role of Hydroxycitric Acid in Weight Loss: Garcinia cambogia (hydroxycitric acid) as a potential antiobesity agent: a randomized controlled trial.